Serving Up Big Flavor: Slicing and Portioning 16-Inch Pizzas
With its expansive canvas for piling high your favorite toppings, a 16-inch pizza satisfies even the heartiest appetites. But when prepping these party-sized pies to serve a crowd, a key consideration is: how many slices should a 16-inch pizza be cut into?
The number of slices impacts the portion sizes and serving potential. In this guide, we’ll break down the ideal slice counts and serving strategies for getting the most from your 16-inch pizzas. Read on for tips to seamlessly slice, portion, and serve these extra-large feasts!
Introducing the 16-Inch Pizza In pizza parlance, typical size classes are:
- Small: 8-10 inches
- Medium: 10-12 inches
- Large: 14-16 inches
- Extra Large: 16+ inches
So at 16 inches, this pie solidly qualifies as an extra-large pizza. With a diameter spanning about 16 inches, that equates to:
- Circumference: Roughly 50 inches around
- Surface area: Around 201 square inches
That’s a lot of saucy, cheesy real estate! The ample canvas leaves lots of room for piling on a variety of toppings to please any crowd.
How Many Slices Should a 16-Inch Pizza Have? When prepping 16-inch pies, a good rule of thumb for slicing is:
- 8-10 slices: For heartier individual portions
- 10-12 slices: A nice compromise for portion control
- 12-16 slices: If cutting more thinly for additional slices
Most pizzerias opt for 8-12 slices when portioning their 16-inch pizzas. That yields nice, shareable slices without becoming unwieldy.
Here are some slicing specifics from popular pizza chains:
- Pizza Hut 16-inch: Cut into 10 slices
- Papa Murphy’s 16-inch: Cut into 8 slices
- Domino’s 16-inch: Cut into 8 slices
Local pizzerias may also customize their slice counts, so check when ordering for groups!
Serving Recommendations for 16-Inch Pizzas When determining how to serve up a 16-inch pizza, recommended servings generally fall between:
- 4-6 people for extra hearty appetites
- 6-8 people for average appetites
- 8-10 people for lighter eaters
Slice counts also factor in. 8-10 bigger slices may serve just 4-6 people, while 12-16 thinner slices could comfortably feed 8-10.
Some serving guidelines based on total pies:
- 1 pie: For 4-6 very hungry people
- 2 pies: For 8-10 average eaters
- 3 pies: For large groups up to 16 lighter eaters
Having too few oversized slices creates inefficient portioning. Aim for 10-12 moderate slices per 16-inch pizza to optimize servings.
Maximizing Servings from 16-Inch Pizzas To make 16-inch pies satisfy even more people, try these tips:
- Cut pizza into thinner, smaller slices (12-16)
- Pair with salads or sides to add volume
- Select lighter toppings like veggies over meats and extra cheese
- Skip thick, dough-heavy crusts styles like deep dish or Sicilian
- Offer dipping sauces and spices so smaller slices suffice
- Share dessert to cap off the meal instead of more pizza
With strategic slicing and sides, one 16-inch pizza can serve 6-8 or more!
Comparing 16-Inch Pizzas from Major Chains Not all 16-inch pizzas are created equal. Here is how major pizza companies prepare their 16-inch offerings:
- Pizza Hut Hand-Tossed: 10 slices
- Papa Murphy’s Original: 8 slices
- Domino’s Handmade Pan: 8 slices
- Little Caesars Deep Deep Dish: 8 slices
- California Pizza Kitchen Original: 12 slices
The slice counts impact the serving potential, so choose wisely based on your crowd size.
Pro Tips for Serving 16-Inch Pizzas
When dealing with these extra-large pies:
- For big groups, order 2-3 pies for 8-12 slices per person
- Slice pizzas up ahead of time for easy self-serving
- Keep extra toppings and sauces on the side to customize
- Utilize large sheets, trays, or pans to neatly transport and serve
- Let any leftovers inspire creativity like pizza frittatas or casseroles
With strategic slice counts, delicious dipping sauces, and creative leftovers, a 16-inch pizza offers endless opportunities for fun and flavor.
The Takeaway: Slice 16-Inch Pies into 10-12 Servings When prepping “How many slices should a 16-inch pizza have?” the ideal range lands around 10-12 slices. This allows for easy portioning while keeping slices shareable and hearty. Overall, a 16-inch pizza sliced into 10-12 wedges can comfortably serve large groups of 8-12 people, especially if sides are included. Slice strategically and enjoy the big, bold flavor these extra-large pies bring to the party!